About This Strategic Research Area
With the ever-expanding capabilities of information technology platforms, wireless and mobile technology, and improved sensor technology, the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECpE) recognizes that distributed architectures and distributed sensing and decision making will play a fundamental role in future complex engineering systems.
The large number of autonomous, heterogeneous entities working together toward a desired global behavior has made it imperative for researchers to coordinate and manage their complex interactions. Advancements in this area promise more accurate analysis and prediction, more precise controls, more reliable outcomes, and more effective measurement methodologies, and Iowa State researchers aim to be on the cutting-edge of those advancements.
The ECpE department focuses its research in this area on:
- compressed sensing
- information theory
- networked control systems
- signal processing theory and applications
- wireless communications, sensors, and networks
Research conducted in this area has applications in agricultural remote monitoring, biomedical imaging, data storage, communications, military defense, nondestructive evaluation, parallel and distributed computing, and robotics.
- Umesh Vaidya, associate professor, won an NSF CAREER Award for using Ergodic theory of dynamic systems to find uncertainties and promote efficiency in network systems
- Aditya Ramamoorthy, associate professor, won an NSF CAREER Award for his work with Atomic Force Microscopy.
Faculty in This Area
Distributed Sensing and Decision Making Research Centers, Institutes, and Laboratories
- Center for Nondestructive Evaluation
- Communications and Signal Processing Lab
- Control Engineering Education Lab
- Developmental Robotics Laboratory
- Discrete Event Systems Lab
- Distributed Sensing and Decision Making Research and Teaching Lab
- Embedded Systems Lab
- Information Assurance Center
- Information Infrastructure Institute (iCUBE)
- iCUBE Sensors Application Laboratory
- Institute for Physical Research and Technology (IPRT) Centers
- RF/Microwave Circuits and Systems Laboratory
- Software Defined Radio Laboratory
- Virtual Reality Applications Center
Research Projects and Publications
For complete information on research projects and publications in this area, consult individual faculty members’ websites, our graduate student thesis archives, and individual research center and laboratory websites.
Graduate Student Research Areas
Distributed sensing and decision making research at Iowa State encompasses the following core areas of graduate study in electrical and computer engineering: