Students are allowed to transfer courses from another institution to Iowa State University for credit toward their degree. Follow the steps below to transfer courses degree programs in Iowa State University’s Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering.
General Transfer Course Rules
- The Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECpE) has a basic policy stating that a transferred course must have a grade of “C” or better in order to count for a degree requirement.
- The ECpE department requires new transfer students to complete their transfer credit evaluations within the first 60 days of their first semester at Iowa State.
- Iowa State allows a maximum of 65 credits to transfer from a two-year institution.
- Iowa State requires students to take their last 32 credits at Iowa State.
How to Transfer Courses Already Taken
- Request to have your official transcript sent to the Office of Admissions in 100 Enrollment Services Center. Admissions will evaluate the course(s) and mail you a Transfer Credit Evaluation sheet. Some of the courses may be listed as direct substitutes for Iowa State courses, and require no further action. Other courses may be listed with numbers like “100-” and “200A,” which will require you to complete steps 2-7.
- Meet with your academic advisor and get a Request for Department Review of Transfer Course Form.
- Take the Request for Department Review of Transfer Course Form, along with the Transfer Credit Evaluation sheet from Admissions, to the assigned designee.
- Have materials to support your request for evaluation, such as course syllabus, name of text, samples of work, and the name of the instructor with contact information.
- Be prepared to answer questions concerning the course. You may be asked to demonstrate knowledge and competency of material.
- Have the assigned designee sign the Request for Department Review of Transfer Course Form.
- Take the form back to your advisor in the ECpE Student Services Office.
How to Transfer Future Courses Taken at Other Institutions
- Check the Office of Admissions’s Course Equivalency Guide to see if the course you want to take has an Iowa State equivalent.
- Gather course information from the other institution courses you are interested in taking (check their websites).
- Discuss course information with your academic advisor. advisors may have preliminary information on Iowa State equivalency beyond what is listed in the Course Equivalency Guide, but this information should be confirmed with the Office of Admissions in 100 Enrollment Services Center. If the course is not a part of the Course Equivalency Guide and Admissions has no course equivalency listed, get a preliminary evaluation form from your advisor and then complete steps 4 and 5.
- Take a copy of the course syllabus or catalog course description and a preliminary evaluation form to the assigned designee for review.
- Return the preliminary evaluation form to your advisor in the ECpE Student Services Office.
- After taking the course, have your transcripts sent to the Office of Admissions in 100 Enrollment Services Center.