Faculty and Staff Resources

Web Sign-ons for Faculty/Staff

Academic Program Resources

Classroom Resources

Business Cards 

  • Order business cards online from Printing Services
    • Reprints of same card are $31 (for 250)
    • Changes in card are $41 (for 250)
    • Choose “WITH of Science and Technology”
    • Choose RED & KHAKI
    • Use your incentive account for payment

ECpE Committee Roster (FY18)


TO REQUEST lab space for any graduate or undergraduate student working with you, use the ECpE Key Access Database. For office space, the student will use the new system – you, as their supervisor, just need to tell them what room to request.

TO REMOVE lab or office space access of a graduate student (due to graduation, internship, or other), complete and email the Graduate Student Access to ECpE Facilities Form to the department secretary.

NOTE TO FACULTY – You have been set up as OWNERS/APPROVERS of your RESEARCH labs.  When a student requests access, you will get an email to approve/deny the request.  Log in to the database to complete your actions.


If you need to RENT REGALIA for an upcoming commencement, please use the NEW ONLINE ordering system (details below).  There are TWO sets of directions below.  The FIRST is for those with an ISU PhD Degree.  The SECOND is for those with a PhD Degree fromanother institution.  If you have any questions, please contact the department’s accounting admin.

ISU Faculty/Staff with ISU PhD Degree

  1. Visit the ISU bookstore webpage.
  2. Click on RENT PhD Official ISU Red Gown, Tam, & Tassel (Rent for $85)
  3. Choose PhD from the menu, then click Add to Cart
  4. Complete information requested and Submit
  5. This will bring you back to the main page
  6. Click on Faculty/Staff Graduation Hood Only (Rent for $30)
  7. Choose Rent PhD from the menu, then click Add to Cart
  8. Complete information requested and Submit
  9. This will bring you back to the main page
  10. Click on the shopping cart icon in the grey bar at the top right
  11. Confirm that your TWO items are listed
  13. Enter your email address and check the I AM A GUEST USER (no password needed)
  14. Click on LOG IN
  15. Click on SHIP/DELIVER My Order
  16. Enter Billing Address as ISU (business name), 2215 Coover Hall, Ames, IA 500011-3060 (click NO for is this residential)
  17. Use same Shipping Address as Billing Address, then click on CALCULATE TOTALS
  19. Enter your Incentive Account number (include dashes NNN-NN-NN)
  20. Check the Verification Box
  21. Click on SUBMIT ORDER

ISU Faculty/Staff with EXTERNAL PhD Degree

  1. Visit the ISU Bookstore webpage 
  2. Click on Faculty/Staff Complete Graduation Attire (bottom row, Rent for $30)
  3. Choose RENT PhD Gown, Tam, Tassel from the menu, then click Add to Cart – DO NOT CHOOSE ISU PhD
  4. Complete information requested and Submit
  5. This will bring you back to the main page
  6. Click on Faculty/Staff Graduation Hood Only (Rent for $30)
  7. Choose Rent PhD from the menu, then click Add to Cart
  8. Complete information requested and Submit
  9. This will bring you back to the main page
  10. Click on the shopping cart icon in the grey bar at the top right
  11. Confirm that your TWO items are listed
  13. Enter your email address and check the I AM A GUEST USER (no password needed)
  14. Click on LOG IN
  15. Click on SHIP/DELIVER My Order
  16. Enter Billing Address as ISU (business name), 2215 Coover Hall, Ames, IA 500011-3060 (click NO for is this residential)
  17. Use same Shipping Address as Billing Address, then click on CALCULATE TOTALS
  19. Enter your Incentive Account number (include dashes NNN-NN-NN)
  20. Check the Verification Box
  21. Click on SUBMIT ORDER











Department Secretary: ecpe_mainofficesecretary@iastate.edu, 515-294-2664

Contact the secretary in the Main Office to assist you with making room reservations, and logistics/scheduling of visitors and seminars.

Professional Headshots
Professional headshots are available through the ISU Photographer. To arrange, email ecpe_mainofficesecretary@iastate.edu.

The secretary is the Telecomm Coordinator for the department. If you need assistance with your phone, such as resetting a password, please contact the secretary.

Get Your Passwords
In order to set up your Voice Mail and other basic functions, you will need TWO default passwords: 1) to retrieve your voice mail, and 2) to use the web portal to set phone options. For security reasons, please change the default passwords to your personal passwords right away.

Your default passwords are available on AccessPlus. On the Employee tab, click Telephone Services in the list on the left for the information.

You can find help with resetting your passwords in the Features section of how to Use Your Aastra Telephone and Features (“Voice Mail”; “Access Your Phone Web Portal”).

Get Started
The Quick Start Guides are print-friendly instructions for quickly setting up and using your Aastra telephone at Iowa State. For those of you who want to quickly be able to receive and manage phone calls, the basic guide is a good start. The advanced guide provides further information such as managing your phone through the web portal.

Get Training
Hands-on ISU training sessions that are designed for users to personalize their phone, configure voice mail, and learn other advanced features are now available for anyone who is interested.

Get More
As new features become available, information will be posted at here. The list includes links to the Quick Start Guides, “Features” with detailed information by topic, and links to face-to-face training manuals that will be used in the classroom.

Business Cards
Submit the following to the department secretary:

    • Name
    • Title
    • Address (room/building)
    • Last four digits of your phone
    • Last four digits of your fax (3637 for Main Office)
    • NetID
    • If you want cell number or personal URL, please include that information
    • If you are not a new hire, a staff member, or a faculty with a title change, please include your Incentive Account number ($31/250)

Travel/Leave Notification
Please use the new Out Of Office database to enter any campus absences.
Staff: Please enter your vacation leave, sick leave, etc., as well as any professional travel.
Faculty: Please enter any sick/funeral/emergency leave, as well as any personal absence or professional travel.
If you have any questions, please email the department secretary.

Seminar/Visitor Logistics and Agenda Scheduling
Contact the department secretary to make all speaker arrangements. Provide account information, spending levels, constraints, contact information for the visitors, deadlines, and a list of people/departments to be contacted regarding meetings.

Visitor Parking Permits
To obtain a parking permit for a visitor, please email the department secretary with the following information:

    • Complete name of visitor
    • Company/Affiliation
    • Purpose for visit
    • First day on campus
    • Last day on campus (maximum of 3 consecutive days)
    • License plate number (if known, else state/county of plate)
    • Mailing address of visitor, if you want permit mailed in advance (must have 5 business days)

Test/Exam Assistance
Printing: If you need tests/exams printed for a class, email them to the department secretary with specific instructions including quantity, single- or double-sided, stapled or not, color or black/white.  If you need them in less than 2 hours, call to confirm.  If you do not receive a confirmation of receipt email from the department secretary within 2 hours of needing the exams, call to confirm.

Proctoring: While the Main Office cannot support in-room proctoring for accommodated testing, we can schedule a room and assist with setting up students to test.  Email or drop off the exam to the department secretary  with necessary details (such as length of time, limitations on books/notes/calculator/etc) – please follow-up with a phone call to ensure accuracy of the process you need to be followed.

Conference Room Reservations & Use
Email the department secretary or one of our Student Workers to reserve conference rooms (2222 Coover, 2205, 3138 Coover; 3043/3041 ECpE Bldg. Addition; or 353 Durham). 2222 is always in conference mode, 3043/3041 is always in lecture mode. Priority Usage information is below for each room. When you use the conference rooms, you must have a faculty member present. You are responsible for cleaning up after you are done using the room.

Conference room reservation checklist and usage

Catering Options for Meetings/Events


Department HR Liaison: Sara K Harris, skharris@iastate.edu, 515.294.1097
Contact Sara regarding such topics as hiring and supervising; Promotion and Tenure; Reclassifications; as well as hosting visitors (for more than 1 week), summer salary, buy-outs, travel grants (for faculty and students); and reporting injury.

New Employees
New Employee Checklist

P&T Assistance
If you have any questions about the P&T process, or any deadlines, requirements, templates, etc., please contact Sara.

To request approval for professional activity leave for consulting (paid or not), please complete and return the Consulting Activity Request Form to Sara in 2215 Coover Hall. You will be notified of approval. For more information on consulting and any potential conflict of interest, please review the ISU Policy Library on Conflict of Interest and Commitment.  Specifically review the Procedures, Applications, and Guidance Document from the Policy Library.  As noted in this document, with prior approval, you may be permitted up to nine (9) days of paid Professional Activity Leave per academic term with met conditions.  Compensated time for expert witness services may NOT use PAL, so please review the information in this document or contact Sara K Harris with any questions.

Inviting Visitors for Research (More than 1 week) 
Minimum 3 weeks in advance! If you plan to invite a student or faculty from another university to spend time in your lab to conduct research (whether paid or not), prior to engaging in any conversation with the visitor, you must complete the Request to Host a Visitor Form located in the Receiving and Hosting Visitors folder on the CoE’s CyPoint site (you will need to login with your NETID and password. When you log in, click on PROCESSES on the left hand side.  This will link you to the folder called Receiving and Hosting Visitors.  You will find the form within). The department and college review all requests to ensure that ISU policies are not violated regarding export of research prior to authorizing any invitation. If a visa is needed for an international visitor, you will need to submit your completed Form at least 6 weeks in advance (to ensure time for approvals and your visitor getting their visa).  If your visitor is getting a Business Waiver Visa or if no visa is needed, then please submit your completed Form at least 3 weeks in advance (to ensure time for approvals).  Direct your questions to Sara.

Faculty Salary Adjustments – salary on grants, summer salary, buy-outs
If you need to pay yourself from a grant/contract account, or need to add summer months, please complete the Request for Salary Additions and Adjustments form and submit to Sara in the Main Office. Please note, salary will NOT be processed for FULL TIME on any grant for any specific period longer than one week, i.e., you can get paid from grant A, Jun 1-5; but you CANNOT get paid from Jun 1-15 (it will be ½ month spread over Jun 1-30). This keeps us within the legal guidelines for grants and allows you to spend time on other things such as writing additional grants. Also, for NON-buyout situations, you can request to be paid off a grant during the academic year and use your 704 funds to pay yourself in the summer – BUT – it must be within the same fiscal year (NO crossing fiscal years – use it or lose it). For buyouts, you will not get your 704 funds in the summer.  If you have any questions, please see Sara in the Main Office.

Student Travel Support Requests
As a reminder, the ECpE department and GPSS provide travel support to graduate students. Please ask your students to check out the Leave and Conference Travel Policies page to find complete information on form to complete when preparing to travel to a professional conference.

First Report of Injury
The First Report of Injury system has been updated effective AUG 2 2012. If an injury or accident occurs on campus or while you are working on travel, report this to the Sara in the Main Office as soon as possible and log into the system to complete the report (in AccessPlus under the “Employee” tab, click on “work injury” in the left column). After reporting in AccessPlus (unless an emergency), go here to determine appropriate next steps, including where to go for medical treatment, whether life threatening or not life threatening.  There is a section for employees and for students.

For additional information on university policies, procedures, and benefits, visit the ISU Human Resource Services website.

For information on university policies, procedures, and benefits, visit the ISU Human Resource Services website.

Faculty Professional Development Assignment (FPDA) Program
If you would like to submit an application for FPDA, please review the website on the Provost’s site and submit your paperwork to the Department Chair no later than September 15 (same deadline every year). If you have questions, please speak with Sara.

Foreign Travel Grants
Applications for Foreign Travel Grants are roughly the same time each year. The editable PDF will always be updated with the correct dates. If you have questions, please speak with Sara.

  • For Travel between AUG 16 current year and MAY 15:
    • Due date to ECpE is 5PM, first Friday in September
  • For Travel between JAN 17 next year and AUG 15:
    • Due date to ECpE is 5PM, Friday of Dead Week in December
  • For Travel between MAY 16 next year and JAN 16:
    • Due date to ECpE is 5PM, Friday before Spring Break in March


Department Fiscal Coordinator: Luann Huss, lhuss@iastate.edu, 515-294-4458
Contact Luann Huss in 2208 Coover Hall for help with your accounts or coordinating projects among departments. Luann works closely with the College of Engineering on budget projections and fiscal management for the department. She also can provide assistance with determining allowability/appropriateness of expenses and retaining sufficient documentation.


Department Accounting Specialist: Samantha Dubert, smdubert@iastate.edu, 515-294-7739
Contact Sammy Dubert in the Main Office to assist you with travel and non-travel reimbursements, p-card processing, CyBuy releasing, web requisitioning, checking on account balances, paying hourly students, and other accounting-related questions.  In addition, please speak with Sammy about purchasing anything for your office, lab, grad students, research, etc.

Hiring/Terminating Hourly UNDERGRADUATE Students

All student workers will need complete an XH form every fiscal year, a mandatory requirement of the ISU Payroll Office. The student must get HR to sign the XH Form and return it to Sammy BEFORE any work is done.

If your hourly student worker resigns, or you terminate their employment, please let Sammy know via email. Timesheets on hourly paid students must be submitted within two days of the end of the pay period. If you have students, remind them to bring their timesheets to Sammy on time (first business day after the 15th and last day of each month). If unable to physically sign your student’s timesheet before the deadline because you are on travel, email Sammy with approval of hours, pay rate, and account.

Employee Expense Reimbursements (Travel or Non-Travel use the same form)

Expense Worksheet

  • Receipts: Submit original receipts with your completed Employee Expense Reimbursement Form within 90 days of completion of travel. Anything beyond 90 days will not be accepted.
  • Travel: When you plan to travel, check in with Sammy to get rules for acceptable expenses, and how to handle personal time. Reimbursements go through her (OR Judy in Power OR Ginny in IAC).
  • Non-Travel: Reimbursements for non-travel purchases must be under $500. Anything over that is not allowed to be reimbursed. Please submit to Sammy (OR Judy in Power OR Ginny in IAC) for processing.
  • Missing Receipt: If you have misplaced a receipt for a travel or non-travel expense, complete and submit a Missing Receipt Form

Domestic Travel Checklist
Before traveling for a conference or business trip, review Iowa State’s policies on travel.

International Travel Checklist
If you are planning to travel overseas, please review this checklist.

International Emergency Insurance
Email Sammy approximately three weeks in advance of departure. Include the following information in the email:

    • ISU ID
    • Date of Birth
    • Gender
    • Overseas Contact Phone (this can be the hotel phone)
    • Email (if other than your IASTATE account)
    • Business Purpose
    • Travel Begin Date
    • Travel End Date
    • Destination Country(ies)

 It is strongly recommended that ISU faculty/staff/students going abroad enroll in this no cost-plan.

P-Card Charges
Submit receipts with a business purpose and valid account number to Sammy. If you have lost your receipt for a p-card purchase, please complete and submit a Purchasing Card Certificate of Lost Receipt Form.



Department Grant Coordinator: Sherry Xie, sxie@iastate.edu, 515-294-5929
The Grant Coordinator in the Main Office will assist you with preparing your budgets and justifications, initiating your goldsheets, and uploading your proposals to appropriate online systems. She also will assist with extension and re-budget requests, as well as reporting.
Grants & Contracts Website: Click on the link before for a calendar for deadlines, forms, and links to useful sites and programs, such as NSF, the BOB budget worksheet, LiquidOffice, etc. Keep checking for the latest updates.

ECpE Grants and Contracts Page   Grants and Contracts Calendar



Website, Publications, and Publicity: Kristin Clague, kclague@iastate.edu, 515-294-2663
Contact Kristin Clague, Communications Specialist, for any communications related items, such as website updates, story ideas, publicity, etc. Kristin handles all print and online publicity for the department.

Online Calendar for Seminars and Events 
Kristin also manages the ECpE Calendar of Events. If you have an event that you want posted on the calendar, please let him know well in advance to get the best publicity.



Electronics Technology Group: ETC, etg@iastate.edu)
If you have a computing issue in the lab, go online and submit a Support Request Form.

If you wish to reserve equipment such as laptops, camcorders, and projectors for check-out, please contact etg@iastate.edu. If you need a laser pointer, we have those in the Main Office – please see the department secretary or one of the Student Workers. NOTE: Remotes for 2222 and 3138 are to remain in the room – do NOT remove.