In 2002, Willard Richardson (BSEE ’34) and his wife, Leitha, made a gift of $500,000 to endow the first faculty professorship in electrical and computer engineering, the Richardson Professorship. The professorship supports research and graduate students for an ECpE faculty member.
Willard began his career in 1937 with HDR, an architecture and engineering consulting firm based in Omaha, Nebraska. He was named vice president, secretary, and treasurer in 1946 and executive vice president and treasurer in 1950. He retired in 1977 as senior vice president and partner. Willard and Leitha also have supported many other Iowa State programs, including National Merit Scholarships and Team PrISUm, the university’s student solar car team.