- Where can I find information about college and university computing policies?
- Who do I contact if I have a computing support question?
- How do I set up my personal homepage?
- What VSLI & RF software does the department use?
- Do you have recommendations for useful software I should have?
Information about college and university computing policies can be found on the College of Engineering’s Technology Support page.
Fill out the CSG Support Request form, or for immediate assistance, stop by the CSG’s office in 1331 Coover Hall during normal business hours.
There are two Web hosting options available for engineering students who want to create a homepage: the Iowa State Web site and engineering Web site.
The Iowa State Web area is available to all ISU students, faculty, and staff. This is managed by ISU Central IT. More information.
The engineering Web area is available to all College of Engineering students, faculty, and staff. Advantages of the engineering Web space include easier access to file storage and PHP scripting support.
CREATING AN ENGINEERING HOMEPAGE
There are two methods for creating a homepage in engineering Web space: one for Windows users and one for UNIX users. Both methods accomplish the same goals, so use the tutorial for whichever platform you are more comfortable with. If you are not sure which one to pick, choose Windows.
See information about the software used within the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering in Very Large Scale Integrated (VLSI) circuit design and Radio Frequency (RF) design, including tutorials on how to use them and a debugging page that lists all the common problems and their solutions.
USEFUL SOFTWARE DOWNLOADS
- Putty – a free windows SSH client
Putty is useful for remotely connecting to UNIX machines.
- WinSCP – a free windows SCP client
WinSCP is useful for transferring files from UNIX machines.
Instructions for downloading WinSCP
- GhostView and GhostScript - free PDF and PS conversion utilities
- MikTex – a LaTeX distribution for Windows
- CutePDF – a free PDF creation utility for windows