Students and faculty work in this laboratory to design, fabricate, and test new fiber-optic network light trails systems and devices, as well as other high-speed circuits and systems. The lab focuses on theoretical and experimental aspects of high-speed systems, including measurement, modeling, and design of systems, subsystems, and components. The experimental research includes physical layer considerations and device development in the area of microwave, RF, fiber optics, and integrated optical systems.
Ongoing projects include the development of fiber-based, magneto-optic modulation and switching technologies, including supporting optical and electronic circuitry, high-speed magnetic field generation, and overall system optimization.
- 342 Durham Hall, Iowa State University
- Mani Mina (Laboratory Supervisor)
- Arun K. Somani
- Robert J. Weber
- Ansoft HFSS
- Fiber-Optic Device Software
Network, Spectrum, and Time Analysis
- Agilent Light Wave Network Analyzer
- Agilent Light Wave Spectrum Analyzer
- Tektronix OTDR and Electrical TDR Oscilloscope to > 20GHz
- Teradyne J750 64 channel – 100 Mb/s and Mixed Signal Option
Other equipment includes items from the Carver High-Speed Systems Laboratory, such as a Pseudo Random Bit Sequence pulse generator up to 3 Gb/s and eye diagram oscilloscope for 3 Gb/s eye diagrams.
Recent and Current Work
- Magneto-Optic Switches for Fiber-Optics
- NSF-CISE, “High Speed System Engineering”
- S. Kemmet, M. Mina, R. J. Weber. “Sagnac Interferometric Switch Utilizing Faraday Rotation.” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 105, no. 7, Feb. 2009.
- J.-W. Tioh, M. Mina, R. J. Weber. “Field Coil for Magneto-Optic Switching: Capacitance Considerations.” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, vol. 44, no. 11, part 2, Nov. 2008.
- S. Kemmet, M. Mina, R. J. Weber. “System optimization for magneto-optic switching: material considerations.” IEEE International Magnetics Conference, May 2008.
- S. Kemmet, G. Bonett, M. Mina, R. J. Weber. “Fiber based measurements of domain characteristics in bismuth substituted iron garnets.” IEEE International Conference on Electro/Information Technology, pp: 148 – 150, May 2008.
- J.-W. Tioh, M. Mina, R. J. Weber. “Magnetically Controlled Switches for Optoelectronics Networking: The Problem, Available Technology, New Implementation.” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, vol. 43, no. 6, June 2007.
- S. Kemmet, K. Meyer, M. Mina. “Components testing and characterization for fiber optic communication and data networks.” Iowa Academy of Science Annual Meeting, April 2007.
- R.Bahuguna, M. Mina, R. J. Weber. “Mach-Zehnder Interferometric Switch Utilizing Faraday Rotation.” Paper No. BH-01, 10th Joint MMM/Intermag IEEE Conference, Baltimore, Jan. 7-12, 2007.
- J. Tioh, M. Mina, R. J. Weber. “Magnetically Controlled Switches for Optoelectronics Networking: The Problem, Available Technology, New Implementations.” Paper No. EU-01, 10th Joint MMM/Intermag IEEE Conference, Baltimore, Jan. 7-12, 2007.